Thursday, March 6, 2008

Probably a Waste of my time- The Traveling Wilbury's Comic

Two weeks ago, my sketch group, Wilhelm, had an hour long performance at the Student Union. It was a lot of fun and we were received really well. And although I'm sure I can fill a whole update with how our show went, that's what the Wilhelm blog is for!

Anyway, prior to our sketches, we decided to do some longform improv to warm the audience up. So myself, Dan Emmons, and Sean Rose opened the show as The Traveling Wilbury's, UConn's newest longform troupe. And what was fun was drawing the little caricatures of the actual Wilbury's on our show flier.
























These little sketches, of course, turned into talk of transforming the Traveling Wilburys, pop. musics greatest supergroup, into a gritty, Justice League of America/League of Extraordinary Gentleman type comic book. Sean and I plotted some of it out: George Harrison would be the leader, the mystic guru, Jeff Lynne would be the techno/computer wiz, Roy Orbison would be the veteran coming out of retirement, Bob Dylan would be a violent vigilante, and Tom Petty would be the new guy with everything to prove.

And here are two little sketches I drew when I was bored.


















Tom Petty and Bob Dylan. Bubbles read:
"Weren't you a little hard on him?"
"You can't be too hard on criminals. Welcome to the Wilbury's, kid"




















Bob Dylan and Tom Petty as Good Cop/Bad Cop.

I'm currently trying to work out a George Harrison and a Jeff Lynne, although I have no idea what I'm going to do with Roy Orbison.

In a perfect world I could spend all day drawing a Wilbury's comic book.

Love,
Steve


1 comment:

Sean Rose said...

Hey I love the Wilburys!!